That Prom Dress




This is the dress I made for prom, which I got in trouble for. It was "too revealing" so I had to wear my boyfriend's coat the entire night. I was so upset and cried when they told me it wasn't appropriate enough because I worked so hard on it and I didn't even get the chance to fully wear it. I was so embarrassed after that night that I threw this dress into the back of my closet under piles and piles of clothes so that I could never see it again. Eventually, a few months later I took it back and redid it by adding the chain to the neckline and back. Basically I got rid of that horrifying memory that was attached to it and finally appreciated my dress for what it really is. 

Besides the typical inspirational story of the dress, let's get into the process of making this dress. At the start of senior year I knew I wanted to make my own prom dress. The reason being, I just really really HATED the typical prom dresses. Don't get me wrong it looks great on some people, just not me. The typical prom dress is geared towards tall and slim girls with C cup boobs. I am nowhere near the tall aspect and even though I'm slim, I'm not that kind of slim and I definitely do not have C cup boobs #powertosmallboobs. I am petite and extra tiny so when I put on those dresses, I literally get swallowed by all the fabric. 

My prom dress evolved into many dresses before I stuck with the final dress idea. Originally, I wanted a simple mermaid style shape with a sheer over lay at the bottom of the dress to show off my legs. I wanted a big statement necklace because of this old photo of Kim Kardashian wearing a beautiful emerald necklace. 


Eventually, I came back across an old photo of one of my favorite collections ever from Givenchy's Spring/Summer Couture 2011 collection. I forgot all about this collection and how much I loved it so I thought why not?



This collection was so beautiful to this day I still can't believe it's real. So I based my entire prom dress idea on these pieces. Originally I wanted two peacocks but the feathers would take forever to sew so I did swans instead and from then on, I sewed my prom dress.



Comments

Popular Posts